1310 Southern Avenue, SE • Washington DC 20032 • (202) 574-6000 
Since 1966, United Medical Center (“UMC”) has provided health care services to generations of residents of Southeast Washington and nearby Maryland. A wide range of clinical services continues to be provided at UMC, where long-term medical staff and employees take pride in contributing to its legacy. The story of UMC ultimately began in 1952.

1952 Nearby Provident Hospital announced it was moving to Northeast DC. Located at Second and D Streets, SE, it was the only privately owned hospital serving Southeast DC.
1955 Alarmed by the loss of emergency and hospital services, a group of residents established the Greater Southeast Community Hospital Foundation, Inc. The nonprofit corporation’s mission was to raise money, acquire land and build a community hospital.
1958 The Foundation acquired 20.2 acres of the former Camp Simms U.S. Army training ground from the U.S. government. It also secured $3 million from the federal government for half of the hospital’s construction costs.
1960 As fundraising decreased, a local developer, Morris Cafritz, stepped forward to establish the “Founder’s Wall” to be placed in the hospital lobby to recognize individuals donating $10,000 or more. Cafritz himself donated $20,000 and his initiative ultimately raised $900,000.  
1962 In April, the federal government offered an additional $950,000 towards construction costs. Citizens Bank of Maryland provided a low-interest rate, $4.7 million loan. A year later, Prince George’s County authorized the issuance of $650,000 in municipal bonds.
1963 The Foundation broke ground on the Greater Southeast Community Hospital, September 29.
1964 In the memory of its largest benefactor, Morris Cafritz, who died in May 1964, the foundation changed the name of the future hospital to the Morris Cafritz Memorial Hospital.
1965 In May the cornerstone was laid.
1966 The 380-bed Morris Cafritz Memorial Hospital opened its doors on April 12, built at a cost of $11 million.
1972 Dr. Linwood L. Rayford, Jr. was elected president of the hospital’s medical staff, becoming the first African American physician to head the doctors’ group.
1974 The hospital was renamed Greater Southeast Community Hospital.
1980 The hospital opened a 180-bed nursing home under the Health Care Initiative of 1980.
1983 Greater Southeast Community Hospital opened a second facility, Fort Washington Medical Center.
1987 The hospital invested $1 million to establish wellness and preventive health care programs for the community.
1989 Greater Southeast Healthcare System received the Foster G. McGaw award.   The prize was created to recognize hospitals that have distinguished themselves through efforts to improve the health and well-being of everyone in their communities. It continues to be administered by the American Hospital Association’s Health Research & Educational Trust.
1995 Greater Southeast, Children’s National Medical Center, Howard University Hospital, Providence Hospital and Washington Hospital Center formed an HMO for the city’s Medicaid patients.
1999 Doctors Community Healthcare Corporation of Scottsdale, Arizona, acquired the Greater Southeast Community Hospital out of bankruptcy. The hospital’s financial condition deteriorated due to declining revenues, caused largely by lower insurance reimbursements, falling occupancy rates, and hospital leadership turnover.
2001 Greater Southeast assumed control of the failing D.C. General Hospital and responsibility for the care of the city’s Medicaid patients. Led by Greater Southeast, the D.C. HealthCare Alliance included George Washington University Hospital, Children’s Hospital, Unity Health Care clinics and D.C. Chartered Health Plan.
2002 After the collapse of its Ohio-based lender, Doctors Community Healthcare Corporation, the hospital’s owner, filed for bankruptcy. The hospital remained open.
2007 Specialty Hospitals of America, LLC, which owned two other DC-area hospitals, acquired the hospital from Envision Hospital Corp. (formerly Doctors Community Healthcare Corporation).
2008 After millions of dollars in capital renovations and technology upgrades, the new owner gave the hospital a new name: United Medical Center
2008 The grand opening of a hospital-based skilled nursing facility (“United Medical Nursing Facility”) occurred within UMC, the first of its kind in the DC area.
2008 Due to instability and other issues, UMC lost its Joint Commission accreditation.
2009 UMC rebounded significantly and regained accreditation from The Joint Commission.
2009 UMC opened a $1.2 million MRI unit and unveiled the new Advanced Center for Wound Healing.
2010 Due to mismanagement and threats to the closure of a much needed hospital, the Government of the District of Columbia foreclosed upon the assets (not liabilities) of the former owners of the hospital located at 1310 Southern Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20032, and statutorily created the Not-For-Profit Hospital Corporation to operate the hospital as an independent instrumentality of the District Government.
2010 UMC and Children’s National Medical Center establish the first pediatric emergency department east of the Anacostia River, at UMC.